Heritage Carpentry NVQ3 Specialist Applied Skills Programme
March 1st 2021Free to eligible candidates
What qualification will I achieve?
Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Heritage Skills (Construction)- Wood Occupations
Following this you will be eligible to apply for a CSCS Heritage Gold Card.
How long is the course?
The course is made of 2 parts- Training and Assessment.
The Training is 20 days
The Assessment is carried out over 18 months whilst the candidate is working at their regular place of work.
The assessor will visit up to 5 times, usually for no more than a couple of hours to complete the portfolio of work.
What are the taught elements of the Carpentry SAP?
- Induction to the NVQ Diploma
- Architectural recognition
- Knowledge and identification of materials
- Recognition of defects- cause and effect
- Specialist Carpentry techniques
- Knowledge and understanding of Conservation Law
- Best practice in conserving or restoring timber-based products in the workplace
- Bench joinery in workshop and on site
- Heavy timber framework
What measures are in place to eliminate the risks posed by COVID-19 to learners?
- Enhanced cleaning routines, as well as increased disinfection of equipment
- Social distancing measures in place
- Options for remote learning wherever possible- the theory elements of this course will be taught through remote and blended learning.
- The majority of this course involves practical instruction and hands on skills development. Practical training will be held outside wherever possible
- Limited availability on courses – so book early!
- No sharing of tools and equipment during training
- Additional staff training to ensure safety
How much will it cost and how much grant can I claim from CITB?
Funding for the SAP is provided by CITB for eligible candidates. The full cost of the training and assessment (£3,998) is covered by this fund.
The payment is made directly to the Training Provider so you will not need to complete any grant or funding application forms.
In addition, as a CITB registered employer, you will be eligible to claim short duration course grants (a maximum of £620 if all of the taught elements are attended) and a completion grant of £600 on successful completion of the qualification.
Who is eligible to benefit from this training?
To be eligible the candidate:
- must have a full time contract of employment with a CITB registered company (funding is not available to sub contract labour).
- must have at least a Level 2 qualification in chosen craft or related discipline with some exposure to the Heritage environment, or have an equivalent amount of on-site experience.
Where will the training be carried out?
The practical training will be based at the Tywi Centre, Llandeilo. The majority of the theoretical training will be delivered remotely through an on-line platform. This will give learners flexibility and reduce the need to travel whilst still providing quality learning experiences with an experienced tutor.
Where will the candidate get their work experience?
The candidate's employer must have access to Heritage sites to enable trainees to hone their skills gained during their training, plus to have adequate number of assessment opportunities in order to achieve their NVQ3
Where can candidates stay whilst on the training programme?
There is plenty of hostel, hotel and B&B accommodation in Llandeilo. A list of accommodation is available on request.
When an assessor comes on site, what do they do?
At the beginning of the SAP an assessor will carry out a detailed candidate interview in order to develop a profile of the candidate’s skills, and areas where training and additional support will be required.
Following this, the assessor will visit the candidate at their place of work to gain evidence of achievement, either through observation and/or a mixture of questioning and previous work records for each of the NVQ modules.
The assessor will be looking for evidence of a candidate’s own work, and that it has been carried out to the appropriate standard.
For more information contact the Tywi Centre